Making Democracy Work

Welcome

Who we are and what we do

Introduction to the League of Women Voters

The League of Women Voters is a nonpartisan political organization of women and men that does not support or endorse any political party or candidate. Founded in 1920, the League encourages the informed and active participation of citizens in government, works to increase understanding of major public policy issues, and influences public policy through education and advocacy.

The League's Voter Service activities are directed toward encouraging citizens to register and vote and to participate in government and politics. The League does this by providing factual information about voting procedures, candidates, and ballot issues. When the League has a position on any issue and decides to actively support or oppose measures based on its position(s), separate material is published to promote the League's stand. This is to insure the distinction between League Action and League Voter Service.

Anyone over 16 may become a voting member of the League. Joining the League at the local level automatically confers membership at the national and state level, and with that membership comes the opportunity to work on local, state, regional, and national program issues.

The Montgomery County League

The League of Women Voters of Montgomery County organized in 1971. Since then, it has been actively involved in educating and registering voters and in studying issues of local governmental importance. The first study it undertook, in January 1974, illustrates the significant role this League has played. That study compared Blacksburg's 1952 Charter with those of other Virginia municipalities and with the Model City Charter of the National Civic League. The study group recommended a new Charter for the Town of Blacksburg and the membership voted consensus on this September 1974. The Town formed a Charter Commission in August 1974 that included two League members and this Commission presented its report and recommended a new Charter for the Town in November 1974. Blacksburg Town Council approved this new Charter that December.

See our 2015-16 Year in Review.